Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fitness & Salads



So remember my awesome 5-day plan to keep myself active and get back to the gym? It's in progress, but I am already coming up against some bumps along the way. I have been going to the doctor for the past two months to find out if I may have some kind of asthma or breathing problem. For the past few weeks I have been taking an inhaler to see if it helps me to breath while active and I learned on Wednesday when I attempted to run again for the first time in a while...it does not work. At all. But, I am working on figuring out how to work around this frustrating bump along the way.

Pinterest
So, for now Frank and I are just working on eating healthier and this week my goal is to focus on walking at a challenging pace instead of running and to get into a routine with yoga. 

---

One of the main ways I've been trying to keep myself full of fresh veggies is to make salads for lunch! I've started to stock up on lots of hummus, banana peppers, feta, olives and other nutrient-rich toppings to make my salads interesting. 



Earlier this week Frank and I made a big salad for one of our dinners. We had left-over grilled chicken from chicken-salad we made for Mother's Day and used it in a Apple Walnut Salad. We filled our salad with mixed greens, chopped red onions, thinly sliced granny smith apples, feta cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries and raspberry vinaigrette. Here's a similar recipe:

Milk Free Mom
 I also found a great place in the town I work at that has the best falafel I've eaten in my life. Serious. It's called Moaz. It's a vegetarian semi-fast food place that has falafel and the best salad bar with gluten-free and vegan options. I've gone a few times and just cannot get over how delicious their falafel and scrumptious their different salad toppings are. Looks messy, but it's so yummy!


My salad has hummus, greens, falafel, avocado, beets, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, barley salad, pico de gallo, olives, and yogurt sauce. It was extremely filling and energizing which was great while I was at work. And, apparently they have locations across the U.S., Spain, France, the Netherlands and the UK! {Find a Moaz near you HERE

Anyway, Frank and I are on our way! We are going to try to incorporate more black beans, quinoa, and other meatless forms of protein into our meals for a more well-rounded diet. Stay tuned for pictures and recipes as we learn! 

Tell Me: What do you eat to stay healthy?


No comments: