Thursday, August 2, 2012

I wish I liked coffee

So remember back before the wedding how I was so determined to get into shape? Well, I can tell you before the wedding I was in decent shape. Not the best I've been in, but decent enough. Now? Horrible. To be honest, I hadn't worked out one minute since the week before the wedding...until this week.

Let me tell you one thing about my husband. He is a complete morning person. And when I say morning person, I mean that person that wakes up as soon as the sun is up (what does that look like again?) at 6am bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. And...completely and totally aggravating to someone like me who is NOT a morning person.

Source: imgfave.com via Elyse on Pinterest


He honestly gets so much done. He gets up and cleans the house, does the bills, makes me breakfast (I wish...that hasn't actually happened yet), and does silly things like...goes running at 7am. 7am.


Source: laurajul.dk via Muge on Pinterest


This has all been incredibly frustrating for someone who NEVER and I repeat, NEVER, wakes up the first time the alarm goes off. I'm that kind of person that morning people hate. The kind that sets the alarm 30 mins before I actually get up so that I trick myself into thinking that I'm sleeping in by pressing the snooze button about a billion times. (like 3x...or 4). It also takes me about 5 whole minutes to slowly get my eyes used to the light most likely resulting in me looking like I have two little slits for eyeballs for the first few minutes. This is my life.

Source: via Leigh on Pinterest


However, even having said all that, this week, something changed. I began waking up exactly at 8am. It's not 7am by any means. But still, 8am is pretty good for someone like me. To make things worse. I woke up at 8am and actually, wait for it...went for a run. A run at 8am. gasp. I know.

Part of this is because the husband has signed up for the Philadelphia Marathon in November and has been hard at work running 5 days a week to get ready for it. He asked me to help motivate him and push him. Being that motivating someone is pretty much impossible to do while snoring and hiding under a pillow...I figured maybe I could try to compromise with 8am even just a few mornings a week. So, this week I began my own little training.



I wanted to see if I could accomplish some of my own goals while helping to motivate him. So, this is what I did today. Found this workout on Pinterest, but adjusted it to more of what I'm capable of doing now. Eventually I hope to make it more challenging as I can do more and more.



1 lap around the track jogging
12 push-ups
50 crunches
25 side crunches (each side)

1 lap around the track jogging
10 push-ups
25 crunches
25 side crunches (each side)

1 lap around the track jogging
1 lap around the track jogging straight ways & walking corners
10 push-ups
25 crunches
15 side crunches (each side)

I plan to do this work-out instead of just plain running/walking like I have before since it gives my lungs a little breather in between running and also gives me a chance to get some core exercises in. Also, I hope that if I do it once a week I can eventually turn the running into 1 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/2 mile. We'll shall see...



Maybe I should learn to like coffee?...

No comments: