Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday Wish List

I am fortunate enough to say that the Husband and I have been very blessed with the ability to live at my grandmother's house. Let me explain. My grandparents have this amazing old stone house that the family is currently trying to sell now that my grandmother is no longer living here. The house is extremely old and full of mostly my grandparents' selection of furniture (read: not my taste). But we have been incredibly blessed with the opportunity to live here and with the responsibility of sprucing it up to make it look desirable for a buyer!

So, being addicted to pinterest and having just moved to a new home seems to equal me finding it quite easy to make a long list of wants. I tell the Husband constantly what things I'd love to do with the house (if we were able to stay here indefinitely). However, we need to think about things we can do that we could feasibly take with us when it's time to move on to our own apartment. The husband and I sat down today and talked about some items that are affordable but would go a long way in sprucing up some of the rooms in the house. Here are some of the ideas as my first installment of Wednesday Wish List!

First of all, the kitchen is quite bare. We have a large dark wood table in the living room, but it's not practical for just two people and definitely not practical to bring to an apartment. I've been eyeing pedestal tables recently. This may not be the most affordable of this list, but you can find these things along the side of the road or on craig's list and spruce them up like this gorgeous table refinished by a friend of mine over at Migonis Home.

Migonis Home (click to see post on makeover)
Here's one I found on Pinterest.



We have been given a really nice ivory couch for our living room. Unfortunately we don't have it in the house right now as it's way up in North Jersey and we haven't had a chance to borrow someone's truck to go get it.  (I wish we had a truck!) However, once we finally get our own couch, I'd love to add a few throw pillows for an easy pop of color.

Source: pier1.com via Brittany on Pinterest


Pillows can also add some texture.



Lamps can be another pretty inexpensive addition to a room if you find them places like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or HomeGoods or even a thrift shop! I would love to search for some good unique lamps that will make the living room and our bedroom cozier.



Source: ikea.com via Brittany on Pinterest


And one thing I've recently found that works wonders for a room is a simple vase of flowers. This can be free if you have flowers you can cut around your yard! Unique vases or different ways of displaying flowers can add character to any room.

Colored containers like this pitcher are great!
Source: tumblr.com via Brittany on Pinterest


Using mugs and different sized containers to hold flowers can help decorate a larger or wider space.


I love these vases and the idea of putting two side-by-side as well as using just a few flowers rather than a larger bouquet.


I hope to quickly get started on some of these ideas!

What little changes have you done to your home that have made a huge difference? I'd love to hear your ideas!


No comments: