Friday, July 12, 2013

Thoughts on Transitions

For the past four years of my life I've felt like I've constantly been in transition. When I graduated with my Bachelor's degree I transitioned into my first full-time job. Three months later I transitioned into going to Seminary. Four months later I decided it wasn't a good fit and resigned from the program. The following Spring I was accepted into a graduate program for Social Work. That Fall I began the program and transitioned from full-time status at my job to part-time. That December Frank and I were engaged! That following Spring I left my job and began working part-time for a new job. The following two years were full of new changes: I went through two different internships and started a new part-time job at the graduate school, Frank and I got married and moved into my Grandmother's home while my family was trying to sell it. A few months later, this past November, we moved an hour away from family to a new town and into a new apartment. A few months ago, in May, I graduated from my graduate program and received my MSW degree. 

Source

Are you tired yet? I am.  I am exhausted. I don't do well with change and having to go through so many changes in the past four years I am very ready for stability. The good thing about change and transitions is that you tend to learn a lot. Let me rephrase that. The really tough, not-so-fun-part about change that usually turns out to be a good thing is that you tend to learn a lot

Source

To be honest, one of the things I've learned is that I don't enjoy change. I prefer to have a routine. It's comforting. It's also nice to not be sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the next transition to happen and wondering if it will be a good one or a major and difficult one. But, I guess that's life, right? I'm learning that life is full of transitions. Expecting life to be stable is just silly, because I don't think it ever will be. I've been spending the past four years of my life pining for a time when I didn't have to live in a mindset of "I'm doing this for now, but in a few months things will change...". 

.
Source

I think that very mindset of constantly looking forward to a time that is different from the present is what's so exhausting. In the meantime, I've ended up missing out on enjoying the present phase of life that I was in. I think that was a huge mistake. I want to learn to be more content with the life that I'm living in the present and learn to embrace change better. 

I really don't think I'll ever be great at it. But, I can try my best to embrace the next phase of my life and find beauty in the transition. 

.
Source

In a few weeks I'll likely be transitioning to a new full-time job. I haven't had a full-time job in almost three years! I am excited, nervous and even a bit scared. What if I hate the job? What if I don't have time for things anymore? Even worse, what if I get into a rut in my life now that things are headed towards a more "stable" schedule? Or even, what if once I get settled  yet another transition comes up from behind me and knocks me over again?

God knows the journey you need to take     https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=562315187132166
Source

I'm trying to use these next few weeks to really cherish the time that I have. To take advantage of the moments and time that may not be around as often once I am working full-time. I also want to take the time to enjoy the phase of life I am transitioning out of instead of participating in excessive planning and looking forward to the future. 

The future will come. 

But, I'm intent on living in the present while it exists. 




No comments: