Saturday, July 21, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes & Batman

So, the husband had off of work today. I love when he doesn't have to leave after lunch for work only to return as I'm practically comatose in the bed at 11:30pm. A few nights ago I had high hopes of getting tons of studying done while waiting for him...only to wake up the next morning to find out when he came home I was practically unresponsive with my books and computer strewn across the bed. Clearly I either need to work on liking coffee or work on changing my time clock to match his work schedule.


But today he's home and we had extra time to make some delicious breakfast: Blueberry Pancakes! yum.
One of my favorite foods in the world are berries--all kinds of  berries. And, it doesn't hurt that they have amazing antioxidants, especially blueberries.


However, blueberries aren't the cheapest fruit in the world let's be honest. Plus, with this horrible drought we are experiencing in New Jersey, produce has become even more expensive than normal. No bueno. Luckily, I've found that purchasing frozen berries instead cuts the cost QUITE a bit and after running alittle water over the berries they are as good as fresh! (almost)


So, for these scrumptious blueberry pancakes I used 1/4 bag of frozen blueberries and paired it with a pancake mix by Aunt Jemima (I totally cheated I know). I've been eyeing up some recipes on how to cook pancakes from scratch i.e. wayyyyy healthier. But on this morning I was extremely lazy it was just too time consuming.


I wanted to try a new way to eat pancakes to cut back on the obvious amounts of sugar the "normal" way to eat them includes. For instance, the way my lovely husband eats them!



I tried to top mine with a dollop or two of plain low-fat greek yogurt instead. (and obviously less pancakes).



Honestly, I would recommend trying it! It was delicious and added a bit of tart to the sweetness of the blueberries. Next time I'd add one dollop less though since a little seemed to go a long way.


Anyway, it was a delicious breakfast! I was quite proud of myself...and next time I will attempt to try to cook them from scratch instead of being lazy  cheating!

After breakfast, the Husband and I went to see the new Batman movie! It was amazing and a perfect activity for such a rainy and chilly summer afternoon. We went with his brother & his brother's girlfriend. It is totally worth the money (I usually vote to wait until movies come out on DVD instead of paying oodles of money at a theater). One suggestion: don't ever drink almost an entire large soda by yourself during an almost 3-hour long movie. Ever. By the last half hour of the movie i.e. when all the good action occured, I had to pee soooo bad it hurt like crazy! I was wiggling and jiggling in my seat and fighting back the sweat resulting from the amount of pain my poor little tummy full of soda was undergoing. I managed to last through the end of the movie (minus the last 30 seconds during which I was jumping over people to race down the steps towards the potty). I hope this has never happened to you because it was NOT pleasant!

Aside from that little experience, it was a lovely Friday afternoon and I would totally recommend both adding blueberries & greek yogurt to your pancakes as well as seeing Batman Rises. Do it.

What do you like to do on rainy afternoons?

No comments: