Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Early Shut-Down

This will be a quick post as it is already 10:06pm. I decided today after working on scheduling my week out that although a majority of the time I spend on the computer I am being productive, I am finding myself on the computer late at night out of sheer boredom. (having a husband who doesn't get home from work until almost midnight doesn't help, but it's not an excuse either) ... (oh, and did I mention I don't have a TV? Still not an excuse.)

I read somewhere--forgive me as I cannot remember for the life of me where I heard it--that this person was going to shut down her computer completely, for the night, no exceptions, at 8pm. When I read this the horrible reaction I had was honestly, "I could never do that!" The more it set in, I realized just how awful my response was. Today, we rely on computers for everything. I mean think about it. Everything. Recipes, directions, communication, school work, reading, shopping, etc. These are all good things, but when we begin to rely too much on these things and forget the simple pleasures in life such as reading a good book, drinking a glass of wine, or taking a walk, that's when it becomes a problem.

I'll admit it's been a bit of an adjustment being alone in the house for the majority of the day since Frank works evenings. I get lonely. The problem is not that I get lonely. I mean I live in the woods far from friends and most family and without a TV or even a DVD player at the moment. The problem is that I rely too much on technology to keep myself company. Instead I could be using my time more wisely.

SO, all of that to say. I'm challenging myself to begin to do the "early shut-down". Eventually the goal will be to shut down the computer before dinner. For now, I need to start with 10pm. If I can do that, then each week or two I will make it earlier and earlier until I reach my goal.

Here are a few things I want to fill that time with:

Reading books (not school books)
Reading the Bible
Scrapbooking
Baking
Yoga
Crafts

Source: google.com via Brittany on Pinterest


Anyone out there with me on this challenge? Anyone already good at doing this? I'd love to hear your tips/thoughts.

No comments: