Saturday, August 4, 2012

Greek Chicken and Oven Roasted Red Potatoes

So, as you all know, I'm working on my cooking skills. I'm not capable of doing anything fancy and I had chicken defrosted to make a rosemary chicken dish realizing that I forgot to pick up rosemary at the supermarket. So, I had to quickly come up with something I could put together in about an hour so that the husband had something to eat before his horrible 2-11pm shift at work. I flipped through a cookbook my grandmother had laying around on her cookbook shelf and tweaked a few things to make this recipe:

Greek Marinated Grilled Chicken (I didn't grill mine since we don't have a grill)

1 cup MIRACLE WHIP dressing (I used a bit less)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (I used dried and it tasted fine)
1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (I used Colavita white wine)
1 lemon, sliced and halved (I used half a lemon)
2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 (2 1/2-3 pound) broiler-fryers, cut up (I just used 4 boneless chicken breasts)


First, I combined all of the ingredients for the marinade (everything but the chicken) in a bowl and mixed it well.


Then, I carefully emptied the marinade into a zip-lock bag with the 4 chicken breasts. I made sure it was zipped well and got as much air out as I could. Then, I massaged the chicken well with the marinade and stuck it in the fridge to sit. The recipe said at least 20 minutes. I did about 30 while I worked on the potatoes.


Roasted Red Potatoes:
I used about 6 or 7 small red potatoes (it was good for about 4 servings) cut into about 1-inch pieces
dried parsley
dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil

First I washed and cut all of my potatoes. Then, in a bowl, I drizzled the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkled some parlsey, oregano, salt & pepper and mixed a bit to make sure the potatoes were all evenly covered.


I set the oven to 400 degrees and spread my potatoes onto a non-stick cookie sheet. I made sure that they were evenly spread out and tried to make sure they weren't touching.


Then, I stuck them in the oven for about 20 minutes checking them every so often and using a spatula to move them around to make sure they were evenly cooked.

About half way through cooking the potatoes I took my chicken out. I put a bit of olive oil and about a tsp or 2 of minced garlic on my non-stick frying pan. Then, with tongs I took my marinaded chicken breasts out of the zip-lock bag and threw out the excess left in the bag. The chicken will be thinly coated in the marinade which will then be cooked into the chicken making in possible to brown it a bit. Yum!


I cooked the chicken on high for about 10-12 minutes until they were lightly browned.


Then, I took out my potatoes and voila! A delicious meal and leftovers. The Husband said he loved it. The marinade had a delicious flavor and made the chicken very moist. This is a recipe I will definitely use again!




Recipe for chicken marinade from 100 Best Chicken Recipes. (can be found at Amazon.com)

No comments: